So here we are.
It’s that time of the month again. No, not ‘that’ time of the month, it’s the other one. The time to hit the scales ‘that’. The one time a month when I confront evil (the scales) and say,
“scales I don’t care what you say to me. I’m gonna walk away from here happy and satisfied with the way that I have changed my life to date. The number you spit up to me is just a guide and a marker.”
Looking at my weight is a necessary part of my ‘healthier’ lifestyle. It’s good to know what my weight is and that it’s moving in the right direction, but, the scales don’t own me or define me.”
Easy to say, not so easy to do, right? Anyway, here goes…
A little bit of blurb I want to say every time I post a new weight
Weight loss is not my focus. I repeat, in big letters so that you hear me loud and clear – WEIGHT LOSS IS NOT MY FOCUS !!!!!!!
A ‘healthier’ lifestyle is what I’m striving for and I refuse to be distracted by, or more importantly, discouraged by, ‘The Scales From Hell’. Scales are of the devil. They make you feel good for a little while, but all of a sudden they turn against you and laugh in your face whilst you despair. Use sparingly and as a guide ONLY!!!
Drum roll pa-lease…
Starting Weight 391
Weight Last Weighed 330
Current Weight 322 (didn’t hit target for July)
Loss for July 2011′ 08
Add Loss To Date 62
Total Weight Loss 70
Therefore, my current weight, as of the 29th July 2011 is:
23st /// 146.4kgs /// 322lbs
New Target 315
July has been a difficult month. I failed to hit my target (14lbs loss) and because of that, I’ve given myself a far more realistic target for August (7lbs).
I don’t want to make excuses, but, it is important to reflect on what happened. Reflection helps guard against the dreaded ‘scales disappointment’ and enables me to see what changes (if any) I can make for the coming month.
I am disappointed, I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t, but, the disappointment is tempered by what happened in July, explaining the reduced loss. What went wrong?
1. Don’t forget I had that weird 7kg weight gain whilst Paco was here (just after my last weigh in). I got rid of it again by the 2nd July (I think it was mostly liquid), but, that was an odd start to the month.
2. I definitely slackened off with regard to the types and amounts of food I allowed myself to eat. This month seemed to be a constant battle with cravings and I gave in on more than one occasion.
3. We went a way for a couple of days as a family and again I slackened off with regard to food and drink.
Let’s be clear though. The bottom line is – I STILL LOST OVER HALF A STONE /// 3kgs /// 08lbs. Not too shabby.
If I’m after balance (and let’s face it, I claim I am), I really cannot be disappointed (not for too long anyway :-)). I lost weight. I didn’t eat rabbit food all month, in fact, I ate and drank some really good stuff. Plus I maintained my fitness/exercise/activity regimen. I suppose food and drink intake will always be the difference between a great month or a good month. For the purpose of balance and sanity, a good month is a good thing and I mustn’t forget that. I’ll have plenty more great months I’m sure. For now though, I need to focus on the facts instead of what went wrong.
1. My lifestyle is completely turned around from sedentary to active.
2. My life expectancy increases everyday. I’ve literally moved from near death to longer life.
3. I am happy, I am healthy and I love my new life.
4. I’ve lost 70lbs in weight. What’s not good about that?!! 🙂
“I Can Do It…!”