I completed my second Parkrun 5k today.
Now, bare in mind last week was the first time I had ever completed a timed run and I did it in 41:14 Yes I know, it’s sloooooooooow, but hey, I’m still 25st 02lbs /// 352lbs /// 160kgs, let’s see you do it faster fatty!!!
Today then, was all about a new PB, that’s ‘Personal Best’ for all you non run types 😉 , although as my friend Lydia did say today, it also stands for new Paul Bentley. Oh yeah baby!! I was hoping for a PB of sub 40mins and I was certain I could do it.
So what was it?
“But Paul, why are you disappointed? You’ve knocked 39secs off your last time!” I know, I know. I really shouldn’t be disappointed, but, I am. Well, I was at the time. I’m cool about it now (honest), I’ve got a lot to be proud about. Taking 39secs off my time is a big achievement. Man I was knackered. The home straight is about 200m long and as I turned into that stretch I decided to go for it, unfortunately, I went too soon and as I was ‘legging’ it along I realised I was starting to flail and the finish line wasn’t getting any closer, in fact, it looked like it was getting further away. About 50m in I had to slow down again and then, speed up again for the big finish. Not good race tactics it must be said.
Once again, I must pay tribute to a growing number of friends and family who are joining and supporting me in my journey. As they support me, they embark on, or enhance, their own journey and I am so grateful to them all.
Here is today’s role of honour:
- Jan – wife, best friend, gym buddy and today’s chief cheerleader/photographer
- Michael – nephew, gym buddy, business partner and no1 top supporter/journey joiner (after Jan that is)
- Kathryn – girlfriend of Michael, friend, wicked runner (she beat Michael haha) and all round encourager and supporter
- Pam – mum of Kathryn, ex-athlete (she raced Paula Radcliffe I’ll have you know), new friend and first woman to finish today. Oh yeah baby!!!!!
- Lu – friend, encourager, supporter and (as I found out today) excellent cook 🙂
All of the above guys came with me today, ran themselves and then clapped me on to the finish. I really cannot thank them enough and I hope and pray they realise I value what they are doing for me so much. I can do this guys and the part that you are playing, in helping me reach my goal, is invaluable, thank you so much!!!
Well then. Did you do your homework from a couple of days a go? Check it out here if not and give me some feedback if you did.
PB signing off with a new PB.
“I Can Do It…!”